Monday, January 19, 2009


This is Carmen when she is around four years old.
We talked to the doctor today. We saw Carmen's scan. It was pretty shocking. She has about ten different tumors in her brain, and a collection of metastases at the bottom of her spine. Her Doctor is shocked also. He is also shocked that she is so comfortable. We are so grateful for that. He tells us she has weeks to maybe a couple months to live. He is offering a phase two trial as our best hope of prolonging her life. He says this may buy us a couple more months. I am torn at this point as to what to do. Carmen wants to fight. My only concern is that she is going to be miserable. A phase two trial is a treatment that is not totally brand new, but has only been tested on a few patients. This particular one would have a drug that would inhibit blood vessel growth coupled with a chemo drug that she has not tried yet. Reed and I are going to pray and look at all our options including the phase one trials (brand new never been tested), which the doctor does not recommend, and hopefully have a decision made by the end of this week.
Thank you to all of you for fixing up my house, and restocking my cupboards. It was fun to come home to. We are not overloaded with visitors, so anyone who would like to come visit is welcome to.
We know God is watching over us. Carmen is wiser than most adults. She is comfortable and happy still and still looks forward to her future. Carmen says she is learning courage. We love her very much.

14 comments:

Mrs. Othman said...

Hi Carmen,
Your mom writes to us about your courage. And that makes me smile really big! I'm so proud of all the courage you have shown to your family and friends, you are such a blessing to all of us. A day doesn't go by without me thinking about you and your wonderful family.

I hope you got to enjoy some of the sunshine we had this weekend. My backyard thinks that it is springtime.

I love you and I hope to see you soon! xoxoxo, Mrs. Othman

Bridget Homer said...

Hi Carmen - we want you to know how much we love you and how proud we are of you. You are an amazing little girl and we know that God is watching over you and loves you more than anything. We can't wait to see you this weekend! All the family will be in Brentwood and we'll be having a get together over at our house. Payton can't wait to watch the American Girl movie with you. We Love You - Aunt B, Uncle Evan, Payton, Mason and Addison

Mindy B said...

Carmen, My thoughts and prayers are with you; your courage is an inspiration. You are an amazing, beautiful, little girl. God BLess you an dyour family!
Love, Mrs. Bello

Laurie said...

Hey Carmen,

We are all thinking about you and praying for you. We can't wait to see you on Saturday!


Love,
Christine, Stacie, D.J., Sarah, Rachel, Stephen, Jessica, Aunt Laurie and Uncle David

Teresa Martinez said...

Carmen, I hope you are enjoying the weather. It is beautiful. Are there any new books that you are interested in reading? I love that picture of you when you were four. I am so proud of your courage.

Mona Solari said...

Hi Carmen,

I pray for you every day. Our class is not complete without you. We all miss you very much. I'll come visit you soon.

Love,

Jessee Solari

Katja said...

Hi Carmen,
I got your thank you picture and your hand stamped note last week, thank you very much for that I have it hanging on the fridge so I can see how courageous you are EVERYDAY and it reminds me to smile!! Maybe we can set up a stamp date! Hope to see you soon...

Love
Mrs. Pastor
XOXOXOXOXO
Junkie4stamps@aol.com (my home email)

mhanberg said...

Hi Carmen,
Brother Hanberg and I think about you often! You and your family are in our prayers! You are a great example to us! Thank you for that!
All our love! Gobs and bunches of love!!!

headdda said...

Carmen,
We want you to know how much love and support you have coming your way.....not a day goes by that people aren't talking about what a brave, sweet, and courageous girl you are! If you need some more good books to read, we have many we can bring over. Thank-you to your parents for the great photos of you, and all the information about your care.
You are in our thoughts & prayers.
The Rainsford Family
Mike, Heather, Kyle, Callie, & Kara

Nana Laurie said...

Carmen, you are the heroine in your story and we are sending you our love.
Brother & Sister Seeno and Terry

Suzy said...

Hello Carmen,
I think you are a teacher in a little girls body. You have taught me that I need to be more courageous in my life. You and your family are always the best example of a loving family. Thank you for being our friend.

Ray, Suzy and Illa-ann Lockwood

Alysse Cazarez said...

Hi Carmen,
I think about you and the fun we had playing soccer. You are a good player. I miss seeing you at school, now that I'm at Old River.
Have a good weekend.
Love, Alysse

Anonymous said...

We think of you all often in these tough times. We are sending lots of prayers for you all.

jamifami said...

Hi Carmen. Your pictures are so cute!!!! Hope you feel a bit stronger. Every little girl needs plenty of strength to "bug" her brothers.

Thinking of you with lots of prayers.

Love, The Jamisons
Matt, Deb, Zack, Jackie and Tyler