Sunday, January 25, 2009
















This is Carmen, a few aunts and cousins, and me at the American Girl Store. I am so glad that we had this opportunity together. These pictures are hard to see on the blog, but you can see how radiant her smile is. She was smiling like this the whole time we were in the store.
Reed and I have decided, after much prayer (including yours, thank you) that we will keep Carmen home and not give her any more treatments. You can imagine the heartbreak we feel at recognizing this, but Reed and I both believe in not mourning until we have truly lost her. You cannot imagine how lucky we feel to have been blessed with this amazing girl. We feel lucky that we have been given time to know that her life will be short, and we can spend a lot of time with her before we say, "see you in heaven". We will not let other things get in the way of spending time with her. "It is better to love and have lost than to never have loved at all."
This week has been very hard on us. Carmen spent all of Thursday crying, and sometimes screaming from pain. She seems to be more comfortable now. She has lost a lot of her energy, though and does not talk, smile and joke as much, but every once in a while she'll still throw a joke out there. We should be having nurses coming in this week to help us care for her. So my plan now is to sit and spend as much time with her as possible. Many of you have asked how you can help. If you would like to help, anything that would allow us to spend more time with our daughter would be great. Frozen dinners have helped us a ton, thank you! Sometimes I have to go out, so if you would like to come and spend time with Carmen while I go and get some stuff done, that would be great too. Your donations have helped us more than you will ever know. Thank you for your generosity. The fresh fruit that was given to us was wonderful. Ecowater, and those that helped with that has been great. I no longer get a stomachache when I drink water, and I don't have to worry about Carmen getting one either. Thank you for the books you have loaned or given to Carmen. She reads about 2- 5 chapter books a day, along with several picture books, so we do run out of material sometimes. Carmen also loves the craft stuff! This is harder for her to do now, but she still does it about every other day. She has requested a trip to Michael's tomorrow. Hopefully we can make it! Thank you for all of your notes. Carmen enjoys reading them. Visitors are always welcome. We are not sure how much time Carmen has left. It seems like every day some new disturbing thing comes up. Carmen may not always look like she is enjoying company, but she does. She is just very uncomfortable. Your prayers continue to strengthen and guide us, thank you for those.

19 comments:

Jen said...

We love your family Dorothy. You are all in our prayers.

Jen and Matt Hansen

Nana Laurie said...

We are sending our love. You are in our prayers and our hearts. - Tom & Laurie and family

Laurie said...

Hey Carmen,

We had such a good time seeing you and your family on Saturday. I liked talking with you about White and Tommy and Tammy. It almost made we want to get a hamster, until it went potty on my hand.

It was so fun driving to LA and hearing everyone laugh and talk and have a great time.

Maybe, the next time we come up, we can bring a fire pit in the back yard and have a campfire and roast marshmallows.

I hope you have a good week. Keep smiling, you have a great smile.

Love,
Aunt Laurie

Kate said...

We are sending our prayers to you for the peace and comfort only the Lord can provide you right now. Carmen is a beautiful little girl and her strength is amazing. She's already touched our lives and I know she will only touch many more. She is awesome! - Andy, Kate, Tyler, Lacey and Austin Kupfer in Mesa, AZ

Mindy B said...

Carmen, you andyour family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. I am going to come visit you this week with Mrs. Witte. I'm looking forward to seeing you!
God Bless,
Mrs. Bello

Waldizfan said...

Our family sends its love to you. We love you and are praying for you. You are all such an amazing example of courage and strength. Much love to all of you.

Jason and Becky (Chancellor) McBride

Katja said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katja said...

Carmen... get ready for some pictures, Jessee and I are going to come by so we can do some scrapbooking!!!
My thoughts are always with you and I cannot wait to see you I really need to see that wonderful smiling face again...
My prayers are with you and your family! You guys are AMAZING!!!

Love ya lots...
Katja
AKA: Mrs. Pastor:)

marci said...

Reed and Dorothy,
Do you remember us (Rich and Marci Ward) from Ricks and Hayward? I just wanted to send my love to you and your family! Deana Jensen was so kind to give me your blog. It looks like Carmen had a wonderful time at the American Girl store-what girl wouldn't love that!! You are in our prayers!

Merrill Family said...

What a strong gal you got there! Our family sends our love and hugs to yours!
Emily

The Mann Family said...

Dorothy, Reed and Family,

You have such a beautiful family and just from reading your blog, I can feel how close and special you all are. I took our daughter, Avery, to the American Girl Place too, it is such a fun place for girls. I love Carmen's smile in the picture - she is beautiful.You are all in our prayers.
Love, Darcey Mann
(From SLZ Ward years ago)

Mrs. Othman said...

Hi Carmen,

What a treat it was for me and Naji to come by and see you today. Thanks for the big smiles. We hope you enjoy your Artic Animal book.

It was really fun to watch you work on your corner cutting project. You were workng so hard. I can't wait to see the finished product. I love the koala corner cutting picture you did that is hanging on your wall...It is beautiful!

I hope to come by again real soon!
Lots of love and hugs, and kisses! You know I love you, Mrs. Othman

Mrs. Othman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzy said...

Reed and Dorothy we can not imagine what your family is going through but your example of a forever family is wonderful.You have touched more people than just our ward family. You have shown the communities around us just what family is all about: love, love and more love. Thank you thank you thank you for letting all of us learn from you.
The Lockwoods

Mindy B said...

Hi Carmen! It was so nice to visit with you last night. I enjoyed watching you play with your Tinkerbell sticker book and color in your coloring book. You looked cozy in your pretty pink blanket!
I hope you have a nice day!
Love,
Mrs. Bello

Sara said...

Hello Dorothy, Reed, and family~We have been following up with your blog, but hadn't seen the last month's entries until now. Our hearts go out to each of you at this time. We admire your strength and faith so much, and think so fondly of our brief time associating with your family. You are all an amazing example to us. Please know we think of Carmen and your family often. We wish we were closer to be of help, but we will keep you close to our hearts and in our prayers.

Unknown said...

Yesterday is History.
Tomorrow is a mystery. And Today?
Today is a gift. This is why we call it the present.
~My you have so many gifts ahead of you.

Bless each of you!

Pam said...

I am a friend of a friend and just happened to read your blog. I will pray for your sweet Carmen and for your family. You seem like a very strong family and she is lucky to have you guys. May you have the peace and strength you need as you all experience this earthly trial.

Pam Walton (Mesa, AZ, former resident of Antioch, CA)

Mrs. Othman said...

Hi Carmen,

I was thinking about you all day today while I was outside enjoying the sunshine. Zayd (Naji's big brother) had a water polo game in Sacramento. And while we were between games I wish I had remembered my book...and that made me think of you! Everytime I pick up a book, I think about how much you enjoy reading! And that makes me smile.

Thanks for making me smile today Carmen. I love, love , love you!

xoxoxox, Mrs. Othman