Sunday, February 15, 2009

This is Carmen and her crazy brother James. This is in March of 2008. Carmen was still undergoing chemotherapy at the time.
This has been a hard week. My girl is slowly drifting away from me, and I feel like I am not giving my boys the time with me they need. Carmen never made it downstairs again. Now if I shift her body even a little bit, it puts her in major pain. She can't see much of anything, and for her to hear you, you almost have to yell. She no longer does stickers or anything else. It is hard for me to leave her side, because she says maybe four sentences a day and I want to be there to hear them. She is not eating and drinks very little. The good things are, that she is peaceful and does not seemed bothered by her limitations at all, and she is happy as long as I am in her room with her. Even though all this has happened in a very short amount of time, Reed and I still feel the peace that comes through the Spirit. Thank you for your continuous prayers. I know Carmen is being watched over by angels, and they will help her through her days ahead. I also know that Carmen is very special and being called Home at her young age for a special purpose. Our roles will soon be reversed and she will be the one guiding me and helping me make good decisions, so that I can see her and be with her again. I love her very much, and miss her conversation and her smiles already.
As I said earlier, one of the hardest things about this for me is that I feel like I cannot give my boys the attention they deserve, so thank you to all of you that have spent time with them. I know I would be a mess if it weren't for all of you. All of the dinners have been delicious. Thank you to all of you that have come and made Carmen feel special too. Visitors are still welcome.

15 comments:

Kelly Bennett said...

I am thinking of you, your family and your precious daughter.... We keep you in our families prayers each night. You are an inspiration to us.

Chancellor, Cj said...

Our family is thinking of you and praying that the comfort and peace of the spirit will continue to comfort you through this difficult time in your life.

We admire the courage and strengh you have shown through Carmen's illness. We are sorry we have not had the opportunity to meet Carmen. We have come to know her sweet and strong personality through your blogs.

May you find the strength that you need through the coming days.

Our love to you and yours,
Carol & Max Chancellor
Becky and Jason McBride

Tammy Hansen said...

I remember that when my Grandpa was in a similar state, I felt very strongly that he was sort of halfway to God already, that God was with him in the quiet where I couldn't reach him.

I pray that you feel that presence too. And that those moments when she talks to you are sparkling diamonds in your days.

In prayer still,
Tammy Hansen

Matt Croghan said...

Dorothy and Reed
Your family has been in our daily prayers, every night. We pray for Carmen's comfort . We also pray for her brothers. You are being led to do what you are doing... being with your precious daughter. You and Reed are showing incredible strength. That is God. I have no doubt that there are angels all around that sweet girl.
With Love
Matt, Dan and Sean Croghan

jeaniedb said...

sweet dorothy,
we are praying for you, carmen and your whole family.
may God continue to impart an abundance of His Spirit now and in the times to come.
you and carmen are such examples of strength and courage. you are amazing.
sending love, (emily's friend) jeanie :)

mom of three tweakers said...

Dorothy, My heart breaks hearing that Carmen is slipping away more and more. I want to go to your home right now and just hold her and put my arms around her and make things better. But I know that you are right. Heavenly Father needs her more than we do on this earth. He has a plan for her and she will soon be back in HIS loving arms and will be made whole again. Please know that so many others feel your pain and are here to help you with the days that come ahead. Love,

Melisa and family

J Gerdes said...

I have thought of your family every single day since Carmen's story was told to me by my friend at work.

I must say that without knowing her, Carmen has touched my heart, as has your amazing outlook.

Your family is enduring something that none of us can even come near to imagining. You are right in that there has to be a good reason for her to be called home to God so soon.

One thing that I know for certain is that children are amazingly resilient. Your boys know where you need to be right now.

Your family is in my prayers!

-Jaime Gerdes

Mindy B said...

Dorothy, I pray Carmen is able to remain in peacefulness through her pain. I pray for continued strength to you, Reed, and the boys.
Love,
Mindy

kjnyberg5 said...

I pray for your family every day. You place right now is by Carmen's side. Thinking of your family every minute of everyday.

Love Kim Nyberg & family

dar said...

Prayer is such a powerful thing and I am so glad that Carmen is able to feel the peace and comfort that she needs during this time, as well as for her family. May those prayers continue to bless your family throughout this time.
(Emily's friend Darla)

Raimi said...

Hi Dorothy!

I just wanted to say that I am thinking of you, your sweet little girl, & your family! Wishing you peace & comfort during the days ahead!

Hugs!
Raimi Davis-Krupp

bcullum5 said...

You are an amazing family, with an amazingly difficult thing to handle. My family and friends think of you guys very often. I wish I could meet that beautiful girl of yours, sweet Carmen. I am an old friend of Bridget's, and I have not stopped thinking about Carmen and your situation. The POA (Power of Abby) Foundation is sending a donation even if it only gives you one more second of time with Carmen or your boys, we think it is worth it. Much love and peace!

The POA Foundation
Abbylicious.com

bravee1 said...

Dear Reed & Dorthy,

I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about your family everyday. Love Josh in Atlanta

Laurie said...

Dorothy, Reed, Scott, James, Timmy and Vincent,

We love you all and are here for you!! We will all miss Carmen.

Love,
The Faulks

Nana Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.